Grange Garden’s partially overlook the beautiful Junction Pond, and Sir Robert Bond Park the beautiful historic property of former Newfoundland Prime Minister Sir Robert Bond (1857-1927), where once stood his infamous Grange Mansion. Now a magnificent park preservation that is a proud and tranquil backdrop to the future Grange Garden Development, was once the beloved home of Sir Robert Bond.
Even in its inception, Whitbourne has enticed many to make it their home. Sir Robert Bond played an important role in the early stages of the town’s development and was so impressed with the area that he built his very own country home there in the 1880’s, which he then named ‘the Grange.’ Bond adorned the 8 square mile property around his mansion with Norway Spruce, Canadian Maple, and a large variety of elegant flowers carefully arranged in shapes and patterns.
A Clergyman, Rev. Mr. Elliot wrote of Bond, his home and garden:
It was in those years at Whitbourne that I knew Sir Robert Bond. A perfect gentleman, he was courteous to all and he loved Whitbourne. He had built his lovely house, The Grange, by the side of a lake and had carved out of the wilderness, pleasant and delightful grounds. He had laid out the garden with walks and beds of flowers and decorated the whole with ornamental trees from abroad (The Telegram).
Sir Robert Bond’s pride for his home is still evident today; Scotch Heather still grows in the park and it happens to be the only location in North America where Scotch Heather can be found. Bond was surprised by the addition of Scotch Heather to his garden; Rev. Mr. Elliot recounts the story of its acquisition from Scotland. The Heather, he retells, actually arrived as packaging for Bond’s special shipments of trees and roots for the garden. When Bond instructed the gardener to dispose of the ‘refuse’ in the garden, it eventually grew into a vibrant flourishing colony of Heather. Read More.
Sir Robert Bond’s home remained on the property until 1949, but the memory of his love and attention to the property is preserved today in the beautiful park that remains.